New York, NY asked in Elder Law for New York

Q: I’m caregiver/longtime (40 years) companion for a man w/advanced cancer. He’s verbally abusing/lyin about me. What do I

He told palliative care nurse that I’m stealing from his bank account. I have Power of Attorney but haven’t touched his $. He fell out of bed & has bruises. I’m afraid I’ll be accused of elder abuse. What protections do I have. Can I refuse to let him come back to the home we live in (the hospital is going to set up hospice here) and insist he stay in hospital.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Benjamin Z. Katz
Benjamin Z. Katz pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Elder Law Lawyer
  • New York, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: The question of what you can or should do is not something that can be answered that easily. You should consult with an attorney, who can get the information necessary to properly guide you. Questions you should be prepared to answer will include what your relationship is to the man and who is the owner of the home.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.