Asked in Uncategorized for Oklahoma

Q: What is the punishment for Malicious destruction to property

There was an incident at my house where my bests friends aunt wouldnt leave and she backed into my friends car, they broke out her windows then she gunned it out my driveway I ended up on the hood till the end of driveway. The sheriff arrested 3 of us and we sat in jail from Friday till Tuesday then released as they needed more info to press charges. We go back to court on the 18

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jessica Brown
Jessica Brown
  • Oklahoma City, OK
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: It sounds like a lot is going on there.

There can be civil remedies for destruction of property that you could, depending on the value of what this person damaged/destroyed, bring in Small Claims court. If it's more than $10,000.00, then you could file a CS or CJ action.

There can be criminal remedies that the police would need to investigate, send to the district attorney, and then the district attorney would determine whether or not to bring criminal charges.

Car insurance caveat: You could also check with your insurance agent to see if this is covered under your vehicle insurance. Some policies exclude intentional actions like this, but others don't. It's at least worth an inquiry with your agent.

I wish you the best.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.