Mount Holly, NJ asked in Child Custody and Domestic Violence for New Jersey

Q: I recently applied for my firearms license in NJ. I was denied due to my "violent and aggressive history."

I've been in a relationship for 6 years now and he had a nasty divorce/custody battle in the first three years. His ex-wife filed multiple false police reports against me thinking that it would sway the custody verdict but she ultimately lost custody. In one of the reports, she coached her daughter into telling police that I abuse her. That was 3-4 years ago. She continues to show up at my house unannounced causing issues. It was more frequent before but has died down since COVID. The police told me that there's nothing they can do because of her infrequent visits but to call the police when she does show up. Fast forward to this year, I applied for a firearms permit and they denied me because of my "violent and aggressive history towards adults and kids." I'm not a violent person, nor have I even been especially not with children. My concern is not necessarily with the permit but can this haunt me and potentially get my child taken away? Can I have those removed?

1 Lawyer Answer
Richard Diamond
Richard Diamond
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Short Hills, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: I would contact your local police chief and / or the county prosecutors office and ask for the background search material and the source[s] giving rise to the concerns voiced about you. The less confrontational you are with them, the more likely they will be to provide the information sought ( since you have indicated that you are not planning of seeking an appeal of the decision). Alternatively, you can seek an appeal of the decision, which means filing a lawsuit, seeking to have a hearing and having a superior court judge overturn the decision of the police chief.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.