Berkeley, CA asked in Traffic Tickets for California

Q: Is it better for me to contest a speeding ticket with a trial by declaration or should I claim financial hardship?

I got a speeding ticket for going 80 in a 65, but I think I was only going 75. Also, I'm a college student about to lease my own place so it will be difficult for me to pay. I have savings but I was planning on using those for a new lease. I also don't drive very often and was in an unfamiliar area.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Randy Bryan Ligh
Randy Bryan Ligh
  • Traffic Tickets Lawyer
  • Baton Rouge, LA

A: Contact a traffic ticket attorney who practices in the local jurisdiction where the ticket was issued and see what options he recommends. Myself, I would do neither of the 2 you have suggested and fight the ticket and/or seek other options, however a local traffic attorney is in a better position than I am to say that.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.