Arlington, TX asked in Health Care Law and Medical Malpractice for Texas

Q: Can a physicians services company still bill months after hospital charitably written off services and "closed account"?

I received a bill recently for services that had happened close to nine months ago. I had been approved for financial assistance for those services from the hospital and received a letter saying that "my account [was] closed" around six months before receiving this new bill. Can someone still bill for services on something that has been "closed"?

1 Lawyer Answer
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Medical Malpractice Lawyer
  • Little Neck, NY

A: A Texas attorney could advise best, but your post remains open for four weeks. More details could be helpful here. But as a general matter, a patient could be billed by more than one entity for services received in a hospital. A hospital could have its primary billing and collections office, but in addition to that, there could be additional "satellite" entities that bill separately - physician's billing, radiology services, durable medical goods, etc. It's possible that might have happened here, but one would need to see your file to be certain. You could call the office that issued the bill and ask what led to a bill, following your understanding that the bill was charitably closed, as you describe. If you are unable to resolve, you could consult with a collections attorney for the best course of action. Good luck

Tim Akpinar

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.