Elkhorn, NE asked in Uncategorized for Nebraska

Q: My partner 15 years died his son has ordered me to vacate house send him titles to cars there is no will

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Julie Fowler
Julie Fowler
  • Omaha, NE
  • Licensed in Nebraska

A: When a person dies without a will, the state's statutes apply to determine who is awarded the possessions of the deceased. Generally speaking the state's statutes state that the deceased's possessions go to specified family members. For example, this could be the deceased's parents, spouse, or children. If you are not married to your significant other, it would be unlikely that you would be entitled the deceased's possessions if they were not given to you in a will, trust, etc, or otherwise titled in your name. If the deceased's son is the legal heir, he may have the right to evict you from the deceased's home and request the deceased's items provided to him. You would need to consult with an attorney that handles probate matters for advice specific to your situation. I'm sorry to hear this and hopefully the above is not the case in your situation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.