Hickory, NC asked in Real Estate Law and Collections for North Carolina

Q: Does a judgment HAVE to remain in court records for 10 years in NC?

I had a lien on my property associated with a judgment. The lien was satisfied but the judgment remains in the court records. It expires in 5 months. Is there any way to have it removed immediately, or does it have to expire. The creditor said they will NOT extend the judgement.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Lynn Ellen Coleman
Lynn Ellen Coleman
  • Collections Lawyer
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: If you paid the judgment directly to the creditor, send them a letter (use certified mail or priority mail so you have proof of delivery and save a copy of your letter) demanding that they advise the Clerk of Court about the payments you made and advise the Clerk that the judgment is fully satisfied. If they do not do so within thirty days, go to a consumer law attorney for assistance. The judgment will still show in the public record, but the record will show it has been satisfied. The judgment will also still show in the Public Records section of a credit report for 10 years from the date of the judgment, but the credit report should show it as a "paid" civil judgment within a few months after the Clerk has marked the judgment as fully satisfied. There is no expungement for a civil judgment, so yes it has to stay on record even after the underlying debt is paid.

Ben Corcoran agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.