Auburn, WA asked in Domestic Violence for Oregon

Q: how do i get my personal property from my ex that i have a restraining order on?

the police said its a civil matter if i want my 5th wheel, dirt bike and some other personal things back. I have a restraining order against him so i cant just go get my stuff. i went to prison for 3 years we were together 5years before that. i did sign the tittle over before i went in, in case he needed to sell it etc.. he never changed the tittle. i went and got a replacement tittle and dmv said that his is void. but the police didnt want to get involved so they told me to take it to court. My ex is trying to say i abandon it so thats why its his but i have letters and pic from the 3 years i was in and one a month before i got out him saying he cant wait till i get home etc... how do i get my stuff?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Gregory L Abbott
Gregory L Abbott
  • Portland, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: You raise at least two different potential issues - how to arrange to pick up your property and how to resolve disputes over who owns specific property. The later issue, if you can't informally resolve it, will likely require the assistance of a local attorney (who can also help with arranging a pick up of undisputed ownership property). You say you have a restraining order against him - if so, he prohibits him from being in your presence, not you from being wherever he is. If you show up, he is supposed to immediately leave (assuming you are not talking about being on his property). If so, you likely will need to make arrangements, ideally through his attorney assuming he has one or had one for the restraining order proceeding.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.