Kearney, NE asked in Child Custody and Child Support for Nebraska

Q: My ex has currently gave me custody of our daughter but not legally how do I go about getting this changed?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Julie Fowler
Julie Fowler
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Omaha, NE
  • Licensed in Nebraska

A: In order to change a current custody order, you generally need to file a complaint to modify to start a modification action. If both parties are in agreement, you may be able to follow this up with submitting a stipulated modification order to change the order to the new terms that both parties agree to. If the parties can't agree on the terms of the new order, you would need to go forward with your contested modification action after filing the complaint to modify. This process would generally require serving the other party with the modification action and likely an attempt to mediate a new parenting plan, among other things.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.