Philadelphia, PA asked in Traffic Tickets for Pennsylvania

Q: Can you receive a ticket for speeding in the mail if a cop gets your plates and followed you but never pulled you over?

Admittedly I was speeding around 25 over briefly to around 15 over to get away from vehicles intentionally preventing me from passing. I then noticed a cop weave in and out of traffic to get behind me and I waited to be pulled over. He then followed me for about a 1/2 mile to a mile without pulling me over. Confused, I even pushed to limit and went 10 over on the road I was on thinking it wasn’t a cop after all. Still no lights and after turning onto my next road, I saw them pass on the road I had been on and it was a cop.

I assume they could issue me a ticket in the mail but if they run the plates they will see the car is registered to my mother and not myself (male) and my arm was outside the car indicating I was a male. This also occurred at a county line. Did I luck out and a cop from one side decided I was not worth it or should expect to appear in court to take fault for the ticket over my mother?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Ellis B. Klein
Ellis B. Klein
  • Traffic Tickets Lawyer
  • Yardley, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: Yes, but the officer would have to be able to identify you in court as the driver. If he was behind you the whole time he is going to have some issues. Plead not guilty and get a lawyer as 25 over is 4 points on your license. Good luck

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.