Chicago, IL asked in Small Claims and Social Security for Colorado

Q: I am 18 and my mom is threatening to throw away everything that I left behind, and won't give me my SSN card. Can she?

I moved out 5 months ago, 24 hours after I turned 18. I wasn't able to take much due to having to secretly leave.

She is stating that she throw away, sell, or is just not give me my things. What was would be the best thing to do

I also am wondering what to do as she is saying for me to burn in hell (not a problem but I think it is with other information), that she doesn't care if I die, and that if she saw me it would take everything in her power to not run me over (basically stating that she wants to harm me in my opinion.)

I'm at a loss, what should I even do?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kenneth Prigmore
Kenneth Prigmore

A: Call the police. Tell them you want to peacefully enter the home and collect your belongings. They can meet you at the house at a specific time. It should probably be a time when someone is at home. While moving your stuff out, tell the police that your mom has your SS card and that you want it. You may also benefit from some version of family therapy to improve things going forward. Therapists make great referees, not to count points, but to call foul on comments that only cause harm. Good luck!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.