Autryville, NC asked in Immigration Law for North Carolina

Q: My husband has been living with another woman. He told her that he married me to come to the U.S. Can he be deported?

My parents and I sponsored my husband to come to the U.S. He moved out of my house 4 months ago and I thought that he had his own apartment. But it was a lie. Yesterday I got a call from the police telling me that he had been arrested for indecent liberties with a minor. The officer said that he had been living with a woman and her grandchild is the child that he touched. Later that day, I got a call from the woman; she had his cell phone. She said he had asked her to bring his medicine to him in jail. She didn't want to, but the medicine keeps him alive. So I met her at the jail and she told me that he told her that the only reason he married me was to come to the U.S. That is fraud on his part, but not on mine. I didn't marry him to bring him here. I was not trying to commit fraud at all. Will I get in trouble if I tell USCIS? I called ICE yesterday to tell them he was in the county jail. They are going to interview him. Should I call ICE again with this info from the woman?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kyndra L Mulder
Kyndra L Mulder
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Jacksonville, FL

A: You should send a certified letter to the USCIS. The letter will be placed in the file and seen when he applies for any immigration benefit. You should also notify ICE.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.