Irving, TX asked in Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support for Texas

Q: Should I let my ex know that I know about her adultery before we go to divorce court, or let it be a surprise?

im going through divorce. we havent gone to court yet. my daughters, 14 and 15, have chosen to live with me, not her. Mothers day weekend, was her first weekend to have them since she moved out a month ago. the very first night she took them to a biker party at her new boyfriends house, got plastered drunk, and forced them to stay at her boyfriends house, while she and him slept together in next room. my daughters are furious with this!!

1 Lawyer Answer
Jonathan Tanaka
Jonathan Tanaka
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Harker Heights, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: I would suggest that you reach out to a local family law attorney in your area (Irving) so the attorney can sit down with you, learn what's been filed so far in the matter and better understand the facts surrounding your situation.

Adultery is not illegal in Texas. However, it may affect how the property is divided. The attorney will help you to add/amend your pleadings to incorporate this fact if this is relevant and applicable.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.