Ogden, UT asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Utah

Q: Can proctor parents legally open their child's mail if their child is no longer a minor?

My friend is 19 years old. He recently reported to me that his proctor parents have been opening his mail, and have told him that he has no right to his possessions while under their custody and they can legally do whatever they want with anything of his, including taking away his money earned at work and knowingly opening mail specifically addressed to him. Is this true? If not, what actions can he take in response to this?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Paul Waldron
Paul Waldron
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Orem, UT
  • Licensed in Utah

A: It depends. Generally speaking, without any other information regarding your friend's situation. Do the proctor parents have a custody or guardianship order? If they do, they likely have a right to open your friend's mail and may have a right to control his finances. Also, if they have such an order, your friend should have his own attorney that he can reach out to in order to request help with this issue. The Court, by law, is to enter custody/guardianship orders that are the least restrictive of the protected person while keeping the person safe physically and financially.

Of course, consultation with an experienced, qualified attorney for specific legal advice is the best way to get specific advice on your friend's situation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.