Loudon, TN asked in Small Claims for Tennessee

Q: Should I hire an attorney for small claims court to recover personal property from my ex boyfriend?

I left my ex at the end of October 2020. I had to leave all my personal property behind at his house because there is a history of abuse and I needed to get out fast. A ban notice (no trespassing?) was issued against me. Since then, I have made several attempts to arrange for a 3rd party to pick up my belongings from his home. He refuses. I filed a petition in small claims court for recovery of personal property, and since then have had to obtain an Order of protection against my ex for harassment/stalking. He has threatened to destroy/ throw away/give my belongings away in the past (and has actually done these things). The total value of my belongings is ~$7,000. Would it be wise for me to hire an attorney to represent me in this case?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery
  • Knoxville, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: An Action to Recover Personal Property in General Sessions Court would be the proper way to handle this. It may require a Bond and your assisting the Sheriff's Department. Apparently you are having difficulty, so an attorney might help.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.