Staten Island, NY asked in Banking and Civil Litigation for Florida

Q: Hello, over 2 years ago my parents received $ 16,000 from insurance claim, they told me to keep the money in my bank acc

Hello, over 2 years ago my parents received $ 16,000 from insurance claim, they told me to keep the money in my bank account, so i transfered the money from their account to mine, when they would ask for money, pay their bills etc i would send them money, but i had also used most of the money on my own. they live in florida and i live in NY. Now my older brother is in charge of their finances and want me to give money i used back or he will get a lawyer and report me to the bank for fraud... Am I in legal trouble ?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Charles M.  Baron
Charles M. Baron
  • Business Law Lawyer
  • Hollywood, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Best for you to schedule a consultation with an attorney to go over all the facts and communications. Based on your brief description, it sounds like, at most, you are guilty of a breaching an agreement with your parents (a civil matter that could lead to a lawsuit against you), not "fraud" that the bank would be concerned about, and if your agreement/ arrangement included spending some of the funds for your own benefit, you may not have any liability (or be guilty of a crime) at all. However, there is no way for you to obtain a reliable legal opinion about this through on-line inquiries; see an attorney ASAP.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.