Lexington, KY asked in Civil Litigation for Kentucky

Q: My mother in law says I beat my wife

My wife and I moved to her family farm 5 years ago. Her mother began making false statements about me and my wife some time before that, as near as we can find out 12 to 18 months before. She has told and still tells people I beat my wife. She says I am in the mafia, she has told people I have attempted to murder her. One " murder attempt " was putting a poisoned tomato on her porch, another was somehow causing her lawnmower mower to backfire, " throw her off in the yard". Both these were reported to law enforcement. Law enforcement officials have been to our house 4 times in 5 years. There was an ongoing estate issue which we settled june last year. She still makes false statements claiming I beat my wife. Can I sue?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison
  • Louisville, KY
  • Licensed in Kentucky

A: Theoretically, yes, although that can’t be good for living conditions or family relations.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.