Asked in Social Security for Colorado

Q: Hi, me and my husband are on ssdi. My 15 year old granddaughter came to live with us. Can I get money for her on my ssdi

My granddaughters mother is the one that send her to live with us. She said she has to live with us until she is 18 or older. Can I get any kind of help for her.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kenneth Prigmore
Kenneth Prigmore

A: It may be possible to receive funds to care for your granddaughter. One issue that may come up is your relationship with her. Are you now her legal guardians? The Social Security Administration (SSA) may require proof of this relationship.

Call 1 (800) 772-1213 to talk to someone at SSA, or visit your nearest SSA office when they re-open following the pandemic.

Here is the office locator website:

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.