Memphis, TN asked in Personal Injury and Civil Litigation for Tennessee

Q: How do I make a motion to dismiss 3 claims from my General Sessions lawsuit and add 1claim w/out having to dismiss case?

Filed over 300 days ago and do not want to ask for dismissal without prejudice when I am ready to go to trial but don’t want to move to circuit court. I’m already suing for harassment and 3 claims are under that umbrella anyway. Asking for punitive damages to be included because defendant has harassed me 4 more times since I’ve originally filed suit. I was upset and threw the book at defendant when I filed and see now that General Sessions doesn’t handle certain torts. Thanks for any help with this. I’m determined to represent myself but still learning procedures of civil court.

1 Lawyer Answer
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery
  • Knoxville, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: Just state you are dismissing those causes of actions at the start of trial. Alot of times you have to try the case twice, once at Sessions then Circuit Court. It may or may not be your choice.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.