Bristow, OK asked in Estate Planning for Oklahoma

Q: I am wanting to give my part of a estate to a family member who is a minor what form do I need to write out in Oklahoma

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Chantelle Hickman-Ladd
Chantelle Hickman-Ladd
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Oklahoma City, OK
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: A Last Will and Testament is a document you can have drafted that lays out who you would like your estate to go to.

However, minor children can’t own property, and someone will need to get a guardianship over the minor child if they inherit part of your estate in order to manage the inheritance for the minor child. Leaving the share you want to give the minor child in trust can help avoid this problem.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.