Akron, OH asked in Civil Litigation for Ohio

Q: If I have poa of a friend who's mentally disabled can I speak for her in court for eviction?

She is unable to speak without trailing off on other subjects and not making sense.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Andrew Popp
Andrew Popp
  • Cuyahoga Falls, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: You may be able to speak, but the Court will likely still want her to give an accounting as well. As POA you usually have the ability to hire an attorney for her if needed. An attorney usually DOES speak on behalf of the Client. Alternatively, you could petition the Probate Court for a temporary guardianship of your friend. That would allow you to speak on her behalf. Ultimately, it's a more complex question than you may think. It may benefit you and her to sit down with an attorney to review the situation and advise you of the best course of action.

Best of luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.