Haughton, LA asked in Real Estate Law, Domestic Violence and Landlord - Tenant for New Jersey

Q: In response to Morris Leo Greb, follow-up Question

Sending the certified letter you suggested would not violate the “no contact” directive of the restraining order? He won’t pay for removal, I’m sure, so can My sister take him to small claims court without violating no contact directive?

Q. When are personal effects considered abandoned in New Jersey? No lease in effect & housemate under a Perm RO for DV.

23 May 2021

A: Sena certified letter to ex-tenant's last known address advised him he has 30 days commencing on the first day of the next month to remove his belongings or they will be deemed abandoned . A the end of the 30 day period, if belongings are not removed, deem the items trash to be removed at tenant's expense.

1 Lawyer Answer
Morris Leo Greb
Morris Leo Greb
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Rockaway, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: I was unaware of the "No Contact" order. So file a complaint in small claims for cost of removal. You can fo this pro se. Go to www.NJCourts.gov. The Claims Division may decide not to hear the matter as the appropriate Court would be the one that issued the 'No Contact' order originally. This could require retaining an attorney. So call the Judge's chamber and ask to speak to the Judge's clerk for procedural advice only.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.