Pendleton, OR asked in Family Law and Domestic Violence for Oregon

Q: Respondent to RO is trying to bribe me with money to drop RO/not cooperate with DA, is this a violation of the RO?

My ex, a licensed PI, hit me multiple times with my 3 children present in a hotel room in Idaho last month, he ran so no arrest. The DA is pressing charges. I got an RO here in Oregon, he was finally served after he called 911 because he was withdrawing from fentanyl.

I didn't check the "by phone or text message" box under "The Court Orders, Contact, B". I've never done this before, the judge said no parenting time so I thought if our son wanted to call and talk to him this way he could safely. My ex has tried multiple times through text to get me to accept $$ in return for dropping the RO and not cooperating with the DA. He's also made statements like "you want to take me down in flames, you're coming with me". Are these violations of the RO? I'm confused since I didn't check that box.

Also, if he doesn't pay the emergency monetary assistance ordered in the RO within the time limit, what happens? Is it treated as a violation of RO so jail time, does it become civil, or..?

Thank you

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Gregory L Abbott
Gregory L Abbott
  • Portland, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: You are likely describing witness tampering - a serious crime. If you go along with it, you may committing a crime as well. Save the texts and show them to the District Attorney immediately.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.