Detroit, MI asked in Car Accidents and Traffic Tickets for Indiana

Q: How long would a prior conviction effect a new case?

15 years ago I received a driving while suspended citation. I recently received another. I received the ticket because someone ran a red light and Tboned me. How will that affect the verdict/punishment? My license has zero points on it. Was a dumb mistake. I have gotten my license reinstated since. But with court still looming. With the new Bill passed last month do you foresee a way I can avoid further suspension so I can travel to work?

1 Lawyer Answer
Charles Candiano
Charles Candiano
  • Personal Injury Lawyer
  • Chicago, IL
  • Licensed in Indiana

A: Your question is a bit confusing. It looks like you are saying that you drove on a suspended license for 15 years. If you live in Detroit, Michigan, why are you asking about Indiana law? You really need to consult a local traffic attorney to assess your options. print out a copy of your driving record, beforehand and take it with you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.