San Antonio, TX asked in Animal / Dog Law and Domestic Violence for Texas

Q: My ex says she is going to take me to court for the gifts she gave me. She thinks I should have to pay for them.

8 month relationship that was physically abusive (her towards me) and verbally abusive her to me. She got a credit card and we got an engagement ring for her. It’s under her name. Her care credit card was used to pay for a dogs vet visit. And an Amex card that had my name on it as an authorized user. The last purchases made were paid for. She then bought under her Amex me a pair of work boots and 3 pairs of work pants. She still has all of my belongings (clothes, tv, computer, my mothers tools I got after she passed away and my wiener dog). She states when I left I took all my belongings and the rest is hers. Now she wants me to pay for the ring, credit cards and a car that is in her sons name and nothing was signed but I did make payments on it. It’s completely under his name. Is there any legal way she can get me to pay for all of this? Or even take me to court?

1 Lawyer Answer
Kiele Linroth Pace
Kiele Linroth Pace
  • Domestic Violence Lawyer
  • Austin, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: She can sue you for whatever she thinks you owe her, and you can file a counterclaim for what you think she owes, and then a judge can sort it all out. You could hire a civil attorney to increase the chances that you'll win but it would probably be faster, cheaper, and less heart-wrenching to simply replace your lost items with new ones and block her on all platforms.

If she continues to threaten you or your property then you can apply for a dating violence protective order at your local prosecutor's office.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.