York, PA asked in Real Estate Law, Land Use & Zoning and Municipal Law for Pennsylvania

Q: My father has property in Puerto Rico that is under both his name and my mother, it is also registered as a church.

My father and mother can no longer taker care of it and want to transfer the deed to my siblings and self, can this be done if they are still living? We are looking to sell this property after transfer of deed. Will we encounter any other legal issues with this?

1 Lawyer Answer
Mark Scoblionko
Mark Scoblionko
  • Allentown, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: They can certainly transfer the property to family members. If they can’t care for themselves, a Power of Attorney would probably be advised so that you and siblings could act directly on their behalf.

You should engage a lawyer in Puerto Rico familiar with real estate and estate planning laws to advise you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.