Pennsylvania Municipal Law Questions & Answers

Q: Pro Bono Attorney

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law and Municipal Law for Pennsylvania on
Answered on Aug 31, 2018
Elizabeth Tarasi's answer
The zoning laws would be in the township ordinance. It would be your responsibility to review the ordinance. You can request a variance.

Q: Hello I live in PA an was wondering if it's illegal to Grill food on my roof

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Municipal Law for Pennsylvania on
Answered on Mar 26, 2018
Peter N. Munsing's answer
No, but if it's a rental property likely a violation of your lease agreement. It can be dangerous as well. You also increase distance sparks etc can travel.

Q: Is it constitutional for a large, wealthy, suburban municipality to prohibit residential parking 24/7 everywhere?

1 Answer | Asked in Land Use & Zoning and Municipal Law for Pennsylvania on
Answered on Feb 20, 2018
Peter N. Munsing's answer
It is constitutional though I wonder what happens if the UPS driver stops or if people have out of town guests unless everyone has a large driveway. Can they? Sure.

Q: Is forbidding tricks on a bicycle unconstitutional?

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights, Constitutional Law, Employment Discrimination and Municipal Law for Pennsylvania on
Answered on Nov 30, 2017
Peter N. Munsing's answer
If it prohibited tricks on private property, likely yes.Contact the Pa. Civil Liberties Union. On public property--I don't see it being invalid unless it is used to cover non-pedestrian areas such as open spaces used by jugglers, dancers, others.

Q: I received a false citation, do i fight it? And if so, what are the downfalls if I can't prove the truth?

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury, Traffic Tickets, Car Accidents and Municipal Law for Pennsylvania on
Answered on Sep 3, 2017
Peter N. Munsing's answer
You plead not guilty. Spelling errors aren't critical. He has to show a witness stated your speed.

If you hit badly enough to flip a vehicle, some ticket's going to come out of it. Sorry, but you have to realize you rear end someone you will be at fault for something. So plead not guilty, get a copy of the police report ($15), then if you want you can call me and I'll walk you through what you have to do.

Q: Hello, do I need a permit to advertise about an event that my non-profit is hosting? We have flyers and other papers

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law and Municipal Law for Pennsylvania on
Answered on May 30, 2017
Kathleen M Hyneman's answer
The answer to this question depends upon the county where you will be distributing the flyers. Even though you are not selling anything, the township may deem that handing out the flyers is a form of soliciting contributions, and there are townships that require permits for such an activity.

Q: Could you tell me the meaning of a city code?

1 Answer | Asked in Animal / Dog Law and Municipal Law for Pennsylvania on
Answered on Aug 23, 2016
Peter N. Munsing's answer
I'd read that as being two dogs per property. Now if you had a large rental property with numerous tenants that wouldn't make sense so I have to believe there may be some ancillary ruling on how it's interpreted. Why not talk to the local dog warden?

But if you mean does every family member get two-I don't see that.

Q: Shade Tree Commission and Home Owner rights?

1 Answer | Asked in Municipal Law, Land Use & Zoning and Real Estate Law for Pennsylvania on
Answered on Aug 17, 2016
Peter N. Munsing's answer
The problem is to get around this you'd have to file some expensive and time consuming legal proceedings that would cost more than the sidewalk bill. If you want to repair the sidewalk you need to get the boro to clear it--and take care of any roots.

Remember--the boro is elected. Get enough people in a boro meeting and apply pressure on the tree commission and you should be able to work out a change in their practices.

Q: Does my Pennsylvania township share responsibilities with me for repairing a damaged detention basin?

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law and Municipal Law for Pennsylvania on
Answered on Aug 13, 2016
Mark Scoblionko's answer
You have outlined most of the issues that a lawyer would need to review to answer your question. One other thing that may be important is whether the farmer did anything to artificially divert the water.

A lawyer would want to review the development plan and agreement with the municipality, as well as your deed. However, you would need a formal consultation with a lawyer to evaluate this.

Q: Lien on home

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law, Collections and Municipal Law for Pennsylvania on
Answered on Jun 6, 2016
Mark Scoblionko's answer
It sounds like they are telling you that you owe interest on the judgments, possibly penalties and/or court costs. That would be pretty typical.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.