Catonsville, MD asked in Child Support for Maryland

Q: Would I have to pay child support of an 18yo HS senior that is spreading their senior year over two years, part-time?

My child is a 17 year-old, just finishing his Junior year at a small independant school.

My wife and son are considering having him attend part-time over the next two years, instead of graduating in one year, and him working part-time during that time.

Would I still be obligated to pay child support after he's 18, but only attending part-time, even if my ex is essentially opting to stretch schooling out voluntarily?

I'm not outright saying that she's doing this to extend child support, but she does have a financial incentive here to extend his schooling as long as possible.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mark Oakley
Mark Oakley
  • Rockville, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: Maryland Code, General Provisions, Section 1-401(b), provides:

An individual who has attained the age of 18 years and who is enrolled in secondary school has the right to receive support and maintenance from both of the individual's parents until the first to occur of the following events:

(1) the individual dies;

(2) the individual marries;

(3) the individual is emancipated;

(4) the individual graduates from or is no longer enrolled in secondary school; or

(5) the individual attains the age of 19 years.

This section only requires your child to be enrolled, not enrolled to some specified degree of enrollment, so if the school allows your son to be enrolled for less than full-time, then support continues until he ceases to be enrolled, graduates, or turns 19.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.