Mendota, IL asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Illinois

Q: How can I change an agreement made on record? It has no been finalized yet. We go back for finalizing June 7th.

My soon to be ex husband and I made an agreement that once he does anger management he can do visitation with the kids ever other weekend spoken through the court. However, I want a provision added in that states our oldest can choose when/where/how he wants to communicate with his father. The reason I want the provision added in is because every time he has communicated with his father, he acts out to where the cops have been involved the past 2 times and he just turned 9 on May 26th. He stole a bike as well as broke someone's garage window (not ours). He has stated on numerous occasions that he does not want to see or talk to his father but I have been forcing him, afraid of repercussions but every time he does something like this the next day. I have asked my attorney if there is anything that can be done to add that in with no luck unless ex agrees which he doesn't. He wants me to continue to force him which is only harming our son. Needing a second opinion. Son is in counseling.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
J. Richard Kulerski Esq.
J. Richard Kulerski Esq.
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Oak Brook Terrace, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: Only your attorney knows all of the facts of your case and only he is in a position to advise you properly. However, it sounds like your oldest son and your ex could use some reunification therapy. This would involve a separate Motion , but you are in a bad situation. Perhaps, you could talk to your son's present therapist and ask for a referral to someone with special expertise when it comes to reunification of parent and child.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.