Elkton, MD asked in Child Support and Family Law for Maryland

Q: Can Maine collect child support when x wife is dead and youngest child is 37 years old

Been paying for over 20 years and she or children have received nothing not only that the children lived with me in Md I have school records. I have been labeled a dead beat dad and driver's license suspended forover25 years

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mark Oakley
Mark Oakley
  • Rockville, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: The assumption based on the limited facts provided is that there was an order for child support issued in Maine at some point if time, and you did not pay. Eventually arrears accumulated and the amount owed was reduced to a monetary judgment. That judgment has likely been earning interest from the date of entry. The mother in whose name the support and judgment were entered, probably received welfare or other support payments from the state of Maine during the time child support was due under the order, and she qualified for those payments because she had no income due to your not paying the court-ordered child support. Therefore, Maine is owed reimbursement from you for the public support payments made to the mother on your behalf. The question of how long Maine may pursue collection of the judgment for back child support, and whether there is any remedy for reducing or eliminating the debt, is a matter of Maine law, and you will need a Maine lawyer to answer that question. It is probably too late to challenge the original child support order and argue it should not have been awarded; the time for that would have been when you were first aware or were served with notice of the child support proceedings in Maine.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.