Pell City, AL asked in Estate Planning for Alabama

Q: I am the personal representative for my parents’ estate. Does their credit union have to let me transact on the account

They have all necessary papers to prove I am personal representative. My parents’ estate is receiving stock dividend checks and the credit union is rejecting them. They refuse to deposit anything saying that I cannot transact on the account. It is difficult to get everything changed over to the estate account at another bank (they will not handle estate accounts) when I didn’t know all of the investments my parents had made.

Occasionally, there is a dividend check that I knew nothing about that comes in. I am wanting them to deposit the check. This way I can move it to the estate account and then take action to change the deposit information for future deposits. I was under the impression that as personal representative, I could act as them to carry out financial transaction for the estate.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Nina Whitehurst
Nina Whitehurst pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Crossville, TN

A: Try contacting the issuers of the stock dividend checks and tell them that your parents are deceased. Provide death certificates and letters of administration and get them to re-issue the checks to you as PR of the estate(s) and then you can deposit the dividend checks to the estate account.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.