Cartersville, GA asked in Estate Planning and Probate for Georgia

Q: If it states in a will that my father wished to bequest nothing to me do i still get anything by law in Georgia?

My father passed in feb and my sister came up with a new will after 20 yrs of the old one being in place back in dec do i get anything and how do i find out if that will my sister has is real or not.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Ellen S Deutsch Taylor
Ellen S Deutsch Taylor
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Ponte Vedra, FL

A: If she tries to get the will admitted for probate, you can attempt to contest it, if you have valid reasons to believe he was under duress or not competent when it was executed.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.