Las Vegas, NV asked in Child Custody for Idaho

Q: Can a judge to refuse to look at any evidence in a custody case just because one parent is a registered sex offender?

The victim of the registered offender is now married to the offender and it has been 20 years since the offender conviction. The children involved in the custody case have never been harmed by the offender.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kevin M Rogers
Kevin M Rogers
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Boise, ID
  • Licensed in Idaho

A: Short answer: no.

The custody court's decisions are appealable. If the Magistrate Judge said "on the record," that she was ignoring ALL EVIDENCE produced by your husband, then the judge's decision is likely to be overturned. On the other hand, recent court decisions tell us that if the judge carefully takes the factors in 32-717 and applies it to the evidence she received concerning your husband and your family, then it will be difficult to over turn. However, in my experience, there are several judges in Boise, who simply go through the factors in Idaho Code 32-717 and then, rather than make a detailed comparison of each factor to the evidence brought out in trial, then their decision will be appealable. Good Luck!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.