Clearwater, FL asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Florida

Q: My daughter doesn’t want to visit her dad anymore she is 12 can she refuse to come over

Her dad has history of alcohol, still drinks she also says he makes her uncomfortable. Can I refuse to bring her over, what rights does she have to stop visiting immediately?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Tami Lane Augen
Tami Lane Augen
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • West Palm Beach, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: She has no rights whatsoever to stop visiting. If you believe there is a dangerous situation, then it is up to you as the responsible adult to file the appropriate Supplemental Petition or Motion with the Court. If it is not a dangerous situation, then you need to follow the lawful orders of the court in terms of timesharing - if you simply refuse to "bring her over" if you are required to drop off, then you could be in contempt of court and sanctioned. Additionally, this should never be put on the child - if she is communicating concerns to you, you as the adult take action.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.