Bremerton, WA asked in Estate Planning, Tax Law and Probate for Washington

Q: What can I do to obtain W2-G's for my deceased mother so I can file her taxes?

The Casino told me I need to have a Power of Attorney but I was told by someone else that Power of Attorney's are only for the living. Will an Affidavit of a Small Estate work? If so, does it need to be filed with the court or just signed in front of a Notary? She, my mother, passed suddenly without a Will. She was Single and I am an only child.

1 Lawyer Answer
Jadrian Michael Coppieters
Jadrian Michael Coppieters
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Mercer Island, WA
  • Licensed in Washington

A: If you opened probate and had "Letters Testamentary" the casino would likely honor that, but that is a hassle if there's no need to open probate. You may be able to obtain a "Wage and Income Transcript" from the IRS, which shows reported W2s, but it will take some time for the W2s to be processed and show up on the transcript.

You would need a Form 56 and Form 4506-T. The IRS has a page here about obtaining information for deceased taxpayers (

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.