Largo, FL asked in Education Law and Family Law for Florida

Q: Can I move out at 18 to do I need to graduate High School first?

My name is and I have a couple questions regarding my current and future living situation. I will be 18 soon but will still be a senior in high school, can I leave my parents house when I turn 18, or would I have to wait until I graduate to move out. My parents are both mentally and physically abusive and I would rather not stay longer than I need to, I am employed and I have somewhere to go. I want to make sure I'm going about everything legally to prevent being sent back home, if I need to wait for graduation to move out, I heard I can fill out emancipation paperwork- how do I get further information on that and how would I be able to get that started?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard
  • Freeeport, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: When you turn 18 you will be an adult, and therefore able to move out whether or not you are still in school.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.