Dublin, OH asked in Collections for Ohio

Q: How can I fight an annual subscription to eHarmony that has been passed on to a collection agency?

I had to cancel my debit card associated to the account bc of unrelated fraud. I figured that would cancel my subscription. It did not they auto renewed for a year. Since it didn't get paid they forwarded it to collections.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Matthew Williams
Matthew Williams
  • Cleveland, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: Not by admitting you owe the money, which is what it appears you've done. Canceling a debt card does nothing to impair contractual obligations just because the card was given as payment. I would suggest sending the debt collectors a letter asking for proof of the debt. The FDCPA requires them to supply such proof when asked before continuing collection activities like calling or filing law suits. Because debt collectors usually buy spreadsheets containing huge lists of names, numbers, and amounts owed, from multiple sources they often do not have any such proof like a contract and cannot supply it.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.