Asked in Military Law

Q: NJP restriction question

So I was NJPED and part of my NJP restriction was that I shall not eat food other than in the chow hall. I was on restriction at the time of the incident. I ordered a pizza to my room and canceled it right after after being corrected by a NCO. Due to me canceling the order and never physically touching the pizza or having pizza in hand. Can they NJP me again for “breaking restriction” or can they take my suspended pay for the incident? Do I have any leg to stand on for this? And they also gave me the restriction paper but not the paper with the specific rules on the paper.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jeffrey Liebenguth
Jeffrey Liebenguth
  • Military Law Lawyer
  • Honolulu, HI

A: They could try to NJP you or take the suspended pay for "attempted" breaking of restriction. Depending on all of the circumstances, however, you could argue that you did not have the specific intent to break restriction (e.g., it was just an oversight on your part and you corrected the matter once reminded by the NCO). Put differently, for attempt crimes you have to have a "guilty mind"--meaning you would have to have specifically intended to break restriction when ordering the pizza, rather than a mere oversight. If it looks like your command is coming after you for the matter, you should speak with an experienced military law attorney so you can go over the nuances of the circumstances.

Hope that helps.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.