Carthage, MS asked in Criminal Law for Mississippi

Q: Can a person under 13 yrs of age be charged with a crime in MS? Specifically a felony.

In the case of Buddy the dog, the sheriff stated a minor under 13yrs can't be charged with a crime, but on your page someone asked about a 12 yr old and it was said that yes they can be charged with their crime and taken to jail. What was done to Buddy was a felony offense and the boy should be charged even if as a juvenile. There is nothing in MS statue 97-41-16 that says a minor can't be charged.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Arthur Calderon
Arthur Calderon
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Cleveland, MS
  • Licensed in Mississippi

A: It really depends. Typically, a minor can be charged with a felony, but where they end up depends on what the underlying crime is. If it is non-violent, the minor will typically go to youth court; however, if it is a violent crime, it will typically go to circuit court. Regardless, assuming that there is a defense attorney involved, the lawyer should do everything they can to either keep it in youth court or get it sent back to youth court.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.