Beltsville, MD asked in Traffic Tickets for Virginia

Q: Am I going to go to jail? Please help!

I got caught doing 90 in a 70 in hopewell va. I am currently taking a driving class so I can take it to court is this Smart. I have +4 on my driving record and printed out my dmv record which has no tickets on it. I am also hiring a local lawyer to help me as well. I am freaking out I plan on trying to get into the military here soon and this could really effect me negatively.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Paula Hough
Paula Hough
  • Traffic Tickets Lawyer
  • Richmond, VA
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: It is smart to do the driving school. At that speed, if you were to hire a local attorney, you would not need to appear in court (the attorney could go on your behalf). The charge is a criminal misdemeanor, so you should hire an attorney, or at least seek legal advice. I strongly believe that an attorney can get this charge reduced to just a traffic infraction and keep the misdemeanor / criminal charge off of your record. Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.