Newport, KY asked in Probate for Kentucky

Q: Can a child contest a wife's next of kin status if she hasn't spoken to the deceased person in 5+ years?

My brother's father recently passed away. He had 4 children, 3 biological & 1 adopted, my brother being the youngest. None of the children had spoken to him in years due to drug & alcohol abuse. When he passed away, his body sat for a week because only his sister & his youngest son (my brother) stepped forward to handle anything. My brother paid for his father's cremation by himself out of his pocket. There was no will & no insurance. The sister told my brother his father had a car & my brother decided he would like to have it so he had something of his father's. After news got around that my brother had paid for the service, now the woman his father lived with for the last 5 years but wasn't married to is saying she paid half for the car and wants it, though her name is not on the title. Now a woman he was married to but has not spoken to in over 5 years has showed up and wants his car, the money in his bank account, basically everything. Is there anyway for my brother to contest i?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Louisville, KY
  • Licensed in Kentucky

A: If there was a will, it controls. If no will, distribution pursuant to the laws of the state for intestacy.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.