Charlotte, NC asked in Estate Planning and Real Estate Law for South Carolina

Q: How to change the name on a real estate deed of owner passed away over 25 years ago?

Hi, my question is in reference to a home that was given to me by my aunt before she died. The original name on the deed is my uncle who has been deceased for about 25 years. His wife gave me the home before she died about 15 years ago. I have lived in the house since then. Their children all live in another state and do not want the house. I am in South Carolina. I need to have the deed put in my name. What do I need to do?

1 Lawyer Answer
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Knoxville, TN

A: Hire a competent attorney to search the title, determine heirship, draft and record an Affidavit of Heirship, then draft a Deed for the other tenants in common to convey their interests over to you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.