Menlo Park, CA asked in Arbitration / Mediation Law for California

Q: I need to know which form to use to file a response to a petition to vacate arbitration award (ADR-106).

A contractor did faulty work for me at a rental property in LA (2018). I took him to CSLB-sponsored mandatory binding arbitration and was awarded $8,124 (1/19/21). He filed an ADR-106 Petition to Vacate Award in February and has a court date of 6/24/21. He cited Cal Civil Code sections to support his claim that the arbitrator exceeded her authority, but I researched it and his arguments are invalid. I e-filed an ADR-106 to confirm the award, explaining the fault in his ADR-106. It was rejected (today) due to "incorrect document type to answer." My question is: which form do I need to file to respond?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Yelena Gurevich
Yelena Gurevich
  • Arbitration & Mediation Lawyer
  • Studio City, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: a response is not a form. you have to write out a response on pleading paper using legal authority. you usually have to file a response within 10 days of their petition. so get this done asap. you can file a separate petition to confirm arbitration award and you probably need to do that at this point.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.