Renton, WA asked in Estate Planning for Washington

Q: After 2 months of marriage my husband passed away he owned a house and cars he has three step children and there is no w

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Steven J. Fromm
Steven J. Fromm
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Philadelphia, PA

A: So sorry to hear about this tragic event. When a person dies without a will then the laws of intestate succession apply. If he was domiciled in Washington at his death then the laws of that state will control. Normally, the wife gets a certain percentage of the estate and the children get the balance. You need to retain an estates attorney in Washington to assist you. Also, you will need to be appointed as Administratrix of his estate to control the administration of the estate. Do not give up this right because control is always recommended and sometimes essential in blended families.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.