Asked in Criminal Law and Domestic Violence for Nebraska

Q: My bf and I had been arguing on the phone he threatened to take my apartment and kids from me so I called the police and

I called the police told them he hit me had the neighbor say she saw it but she didn’t give her name he has a warrant now he didn’t hit me thoufg

1 Lawyer Answer
Julie Fowler
Julie Fowler
  • Omaha, NE
  • Licensed in Nebraska

A: A person can be charged if they make a false report to law enforcement. Law enforcement is often skeptical if a person contacts law enforcement and says they are victim of domestic violence and then later recants the statement. It is a common fact pattern for a victim of domestic violence to later want to take back a true statement for a number of reasons.

You can contact the prosecutor's office and let them know what happened. You would likely want to consult with an attorney first as you could be charged for making a false report. Even if you recant the statement, the prosecutor may still go forward with the domestic violence charge if they believe they can still get the conviction.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.