Gastonia, NC asked in Immigration Law for North Carolina

Q: What steps to take in order to have a successful citizenship procedure?

I am a permanent green card holder back in 2019 I became involve with a criminal case dealing with the crime of obtaining property by false pretense. I was placed in this program the public defender suggest me and later on 2020 the case was dismissed. I am wanting to become a citizen and would like to know about the negative effect this charge will have against me.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kyndra L Mulder
Kyndra L Mulder
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Jacksonville, FL

A: First; depending on how you got your LPR status; You are not eligible to file for NATZ until you have been an LPR for 3 or 5 years.

Based on the limited information your provided; it sounds like you entered into a program, probation, or other form of predisposition in exchange for a dismissal. IF the foregoing is the case you are considered guilty for immigration purposes. this may impact your ability to show Good Moral Character for the purpose of NATZ.

To know whether you will need to wait a full five years or whether you are eligible for the Petty offense Exception or whether you could be placed in removal proceedings will require more information. I suggest consult with an experienced immigration attorney before applying for NATZ

Agnes Jury agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.