Saint Charles, MO asked in Real Estate Law for Missouri

Q: How do I remove EX partner from deed/loan?

My ex partner and I bought a house together 13 years ago. She lived in the house for 3 months then left. She has not paid any of the mortgage, taxes, repairs ect. We only paid $2500 down at the time of mutual money. I want to refinance but she refuses to sign quit claim deed. What are my options?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jennifer Sheila Kornblum
Jennifer Sheila Kornblum
  • Springfield, MO
  • Licensed in Missouri

A: If your ex refuses to sign a quitclaim deed, your other option is filing a court action for partition. It is a generally a short process but it carries several risks. You should definitely consult an attorney about the pros and cons to see if it is in your best interest in your circumstances.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.