Mankato, MN asked in Child Custody, Divorce and Family Law for Wisconsin

Q: If I have 50/50 legal custody and 100% physical custody can their mom change the order and move away with kids?

I have 50/50 legal custody and 100% physical custody. I got divorced September of 2020. Their mom does not take them overnight and rarely ever sees them. She now says she is moving to Arizona and wants the kids for the summer months. Is there a way she will be able to change the order and move away with them and keep them for three months at a time? If so then what is the best way I can fight it?

1 Lawyer Answer
Jane E. Probst
Jane E. Probst
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Brookfield, WI
  • Licensed in Wisconsin

A: No. She would need to file a Motion for Modification of Placement or you both would need to sign a Stipulation and Order for modification of the Order to allow her summer placement. She needs an Order of the Court. If she does not have the Court Order, she can not remove them without your approval.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.