Kaysville, UT asked in Family Law, Domestic Violence and Juvenile Law for Utah

Q: If I've run away from home and am living somewhere else unofficially can I contact my family? Can my dad take me home?

I ran away from home recently and DCFS hasn't really been over to tell me where I was going and what I was doing. They came over once to see if I had a place to go and a bed to sleep in, etc. The agent told the family I'm staying with that my father can legally take me home with him without legal repercussions, so I should avoid him and looking for him. They never said weather I should or shouldn't contact him but I want to let him know that I'm ok and I sometimes want to talk to him to see if everything is OK with him or let him know that I'm ok. I'm just wondering if I could contact my dad or my grandmother or brother and if my dad can actually take me home if DCFS hasn't actually legally given the family I'm with custody.

1 Lawyer Answer
Mike Branum
Mike Branum
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Saint George, UT
  • Licensed in Utah

A: There is no reason you cannot contact your family and for the sake of your future relationship with them, you should. Until someone else is appointed your guardian, you are emancipated, or you turn 18; yes, your father could take you home. As your parent, he has that right.

In order to be emancipated, you are going to have to show the Court that you are capable of supporting yourself and making your own decisions. If you were being abused or neglected, you need to be honest with DCFS so they can justify placing you with a foster family. If your parents are not actively trying to force you to return home and you are in a safe situation, DCFS will likely not get involved any further.

I hope you are able to work things out. These situations are never easy for anyone involved.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.