Franklinville, NJ asked in Estate Planning and Probate for New Jersey

Q: Step mother died the. My father died 17 hr. Later

When they married her 2 children were grown and out of the house. They never lived with my father and nothing was ever in their mothers name. There was a joint account that only my dads money went into and the bills were paid from and she had her own account that her money went in and she spent. We tried to close that with her sons and split the $2,000 and change but could not. She was listed as 1/2 beneficiary and my sister and I 1/2 for his IRA. We gave them everything that was their mothers. now her 2 children that my father never raised are claiming under N.J.S.A 3B:3-32 they are entitled to 1/2 of everything my dads IRA. The house didn’t have her name on it but it’s a reverse mortgage so they can HAVE it! However the IRA and life insurance were already paid to my sister and I.There was no will.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Morris Leo Greb
Morris Leo Greb
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Rockaway, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: What is the question?

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.